For some orthodontists, their work is just about straightening teeth, but for Dr. Scott McClure, orthodontics is a passion. Dr. McClure is dedicated to caring for his patients from the first moment they enter into his practice. He truly enjoys working with patients of all ages, getting to know each patient personally, and being an active member of the Raleigh community he serves. Orthodontics is much more than straight teeth, it’s about building confidence, establishing a bond with your patients, and giving people a reason to smile. Dr. McClure is pleased to welcome you to his practice, and looks forward to working with you.
Dr. McClure began his orthodontic career by pursuing a quality dental education and certificate in orthodontics.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from Villanova University
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery (DDS) from the University of Buffalo School of Dental Medicine - Magna Cum Laude
- Inducted into the Omicron Kappa Upsilon National Dental Honor Society
- Master’s degree and certificate to practice orthodontics from the University of Alabama at Birmingham
While studying and teaching orthodontics at the University of Alabama, Dr. McClure conducted research examining new digital radiographic techniques. His research has been published in acclaimed national orthodontic journals such as Seminars in Orthodontics. As a result of his research experience, Dr. McClure was invited to write a chapter for a respected orthodontic textbook that is required reading for orthodontic residents preparing for National Orthodontic Board Certification Exams.
Dr. McClure was awarded several scholarships throughout his education, most notably the:
- Barrett Scholarship
- Tucker Scholarship (basis: top-ranked students
- Lasher Scholarship (basis: top-ranked students)
- Class of 1964 Scholarship (basis: academic performance, clinical ethics)
The orthodontic field is constantly evolving with new technology and treatment techniques. Dr. McClure stays up to date with the latest advances in orthodontics by participating in continuing education through memberships in several prestigious orthodontic organizations. He is also a member of the:
- American Association of Orthodontists (AAO)
- Southern Association of Orthodontist (SAO)
- North Carolina Association of Orthodontists (NCAO)
- World Federation of Orthodontists (WFO)
- American Dental Association (ADA)
- Raleigh/Wake County Dental Society (RWCDS)
- North Carolina Dental Society (NCDS)
Dr. McClure is an elected board member of the Raleigh/Wake County Dental Society. He feels that it is important to have the ability to serve the Raleigh, Cary, and Garner communities with organized dentistry, and his election to the board allows him to serve these communities as well as stay current with the latest trends and legislature affecting the practice of dentistry.
Throughout his time as an orthodontist, Dr. McClure has been presented with several awards as recognition for his work as an orthodontist. Awards that he has received include:
- Connecticut’s Top Dentists by Hartford Magazine
- American Association of Orthodontists Award for Exceptional Interest in the Development of the Oro-Facial Complex
- Buffalo Graduate Chapter Award for Initiative, Attitude and General Excellence in Operative Dentistry
- National Institute of Dental Research Fellowship Award
- Omnicron Kappa Upsilon National Dental Honor Society Inductee and Active Member
- Order of Omega National Honor Society Inductee and Active Member
- Executive Council of the School of Dental Medicine Commendation for Excellent Academic Performance
- Dean of School of Dental Medicine Commendation for Excellent Academic Performance
- Dean of Academic Affairs Commendation for Outstanding Performance on the National Dental Board Exam
- Removable Prosthodontics Commendation for Outstanding Performance with Removable Prosthodontics Technique
Life outside the practice…
Dr. McClure and his wife Jennifer live in Apex, NC, with their daughters Lauren, Leah, and Lindsey. He and his family are active members of their community and their church. Dr. McClure enjoys playing tennis, golf, and volleyball, as well as coaching his daughters' sports teams, but most of all, he loves spending time with his family.